The Federal Government’s former Minister for Housing, Tanya Plibersek, has articulated a housing reform agenda linked to the provision of funds under both the National Affordable Housing Agreement (NAHA) and Federal Stimulus Package.
The reforms to enable the growth of community housing will focus on a number of key objectives, such as:
- Support for community housing organisations to grow the amount of community housing stock so as to develop a viable and growing housing option for households on low incomes
- Implement a program of national registration and regulation, thereby enabling community housing organsations to operate more readily across different states
- Renegotiate how the Commonwealth funds social housing to the States, and to provide an incentive for States to increase and improve their stock
- Deliver better quality housing that will meet the current and future needs of tenants and their support providers
- Provide tenants with a choice of housing provider using a single housing registration list